Private Tuition & Classroom Teaching
I’m the kind of teacher who doesn’t just want you to pass your exams, but to really understand the ideas behind what you’re studying. I have a genuine love for mathematics and I’ll do my best to pass on a little bit of that to you.
I have availability to undertake mathematics teaching in various contexts. Please see About Tom for details of my qualifications and experience and then look under the relevant headings below for details of services offered. I am also able to teach aspects of astronomy and computer science if specific topics are required.
- Online tuition will take place via videoconferencing software (e.g. Zoom) supported by a web-accessible whiteboard.
- I can either host video sessions with my own account, or I can join as a guest in your own, in whichever platform you choose.
- Offline tuition will take place at your home or another location arranged by you.
- One-off masterclasses on specific topics, or regular sessions over time
- No obligation to sign up for a particular number of sessions.
After an initial consultation to identify any particular topics that you’re struggling with we’ll work to improve your understanding in these areas.
If you just want to “turn the handle” and get the right answers out then I’m definitely not the tutor for you: we’ll work on understanding the underlying mathematics at a pace that suits you:
It’s not about getting the right answer; it’s about the journey we take to get there.
Availability for either on- or offline private tuition sessions is currently very limited.
– KS2 to GCSE: £45 per hour
– A-Level: £55 per hour
– KS2 to GCSE: £30 per student, per hour
– A-Level: £40 per student, per hour
Offline sessions will also incur travel expenses at 45p per mile for the round-trip from me to you. Other expenses may be charged additionally with prior agreement.
Please contact me, including:
– The level you’re working at/ towards (e.g. GCSE, A-Level)
– What you’re hoping to achieve through our sessions (a better understanding of specific topics? Raising your predicted grade? Improving your mathematical confidence?)
– Your location (only if you want me to come to you)
– Whether you’re looking for a one-off masterclass on a specific topic or a longer-term series of sessions
– Any dates and times that would work particularly well for you (or need to be avoided)
– Anything else you think I might need to know!
Part-time Teaching & Supply
I am available for part-time temporary and supply teaching positions in mathematics (if a specialist is preferred or planning required), Computer Science, Physics, Chemistry or Biology (if lesson planning and resources are provided beforehand) or other subjects (if no specialism or preparation is required).
I am comfortable teaching online (anywhere) or on-site (location dependent).
Availability for classroom teaching and supply work is currently very limited.
- Please contact me with specific offers (no agencies).
- A CV can be supplied on request.
- I would usually expect to be paid at UPS3.