Hi, I’m Tom!
I’m a qualified mathematics teacher and experienced museum educator with professional interests in:
- Bringing mathematics to the masses
- Using digital technologies to enhance experiences offline and engage new learners online
- Discovering mathematical content in the stories of museum and heritage sites (yes, there’s plenty in yours)
I’m a big believer that nobody ever really stops learning, and I have no intention of stopping doing that proactively. Here’s what I’ve officially achieved so far:
University of Northampton, due for completion in 2022
I started this course in October 2020 and will no doubt write the occasional post about it on my personal blog.
EDUM074: International Perspectives on Education
– Assignment 1: Infographic: Mathematics Teaching in Indonesia
– Assignment 2: Essay: A Comparison of Recruitment and Training of Mathematics Teachers in Indonesia and England. (Not currently accessible online)
EDUM124: Developing and Supporting Others
– In progress
PgCert Digital Leadership
University of Northampton, 2020
EDUM140: Developing Digital Literacy
– Assignment 1: Reflective ePortfolio: What do Secondary School Mathematics Teachers want from Digital Museum Resources?
– Assignment 2: Research Poster: Digital Mathematics Resources and Museums
EDUM141: Developing Digital Leadership
– Assignments 1 & 2 formed a full project entitled Developing Digital Skills for Educators in the Heritage Sector: What Skills Should be on a Digital Skills Competency Framework for Museum Learning Specialists? (Not currently accessible online)
PGCE (with A-Level Accreditation) & QTS
University of Leicester, 2007
BSc(hons) Mathematics with Astronomy
University of Leicester, 2004
7 ½ years in Bletchley Park’s Learning Team…
… starting as Education Officer, progressing to Learning Manager, during which time I designed, developed and delivered the highly regarded Enigma Outreach programme as well as driving the inclusion of mathematics in all aspects of our Learning offer. The success of Enigma Outreach led to its expansion by two members of staff who I managed.
6 years+ teaching mathematics in secondary schools…
… following the completion of my PGCE which was itself preceded by 7 months as a Teaching Assistant in a primary school. As a teacher I strove to help students connect the mathematics they were learning to their everyday lives, interests, hobbies and experiences where appropriate, as well as introducing them to interesting historical contexts to enrich their understanding and help them to experience the true beauty of mathematics.
Since being made redundant from Bletchley Park (necessitated by massive financial losses due in part to the Covid-19 pandemic) I have been sharing my working week between part-time secondary mathematics teaching and developing my freelance portfolio.